In the kitchen:
- Don’t wear loose-fitting clothing in the kitchen.
- Never leave the kitchen unattended while cooking, and never leave a child alone while cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire (like dish towels or wooden spoons) away from your stovetop.
In the bedroom:
Install smoke alarms in and outside of every sleeping area and test smoke alarms monthly. When you hear the sound of the smoke alarm you should:
- Crawl low under smoke
- Touch doors before opening them; if the door is hot, use another exit
- Never go back into a burning building; children should be reminded not to stop or return for anything, such as a toy or to call 9-1-1
- Upon leaving the burning building, children whose clothes have caught fire should immediately stop, drop to the ground and roll back and forth quickly to extinguish the flames
Practice an escape plan with your child!